The federal government’s legal lawsuit against Seplat Energy Plc and its chief executive, Roger Brown, has been dropped.
The energy company announced this in a statement made on Thursday and signed by Basil Omiyi, chairman of the company’s board of directors.
On behalf of the national government, the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) took Seplat to a Federal High Court in Abuja.
The agency accused the organization of violating the country’s immigration legislation, prompting the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, to cancel Brown’s visa and work permit.
In the statement it released today, Seplat said the government had discontinued the suit.
“Seplat Energy is pleased to announce that it has become aware of the Notice of Withdrawal/Discontinuance of the legal action that was previously instituted at the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, by the Nigeria Immigration Service (acting for the Federal Government of Nigeria) against the company and some of its directors and officers.
“The Notice of Withdrawal/Discontinuance of the action dated April 6, 2023, was issued by the Director Legal Services of the Nigeria Immigration Service and stated in part that the claimant hereby discontinues all the proceedings in this charge against the above-named defendants.
“The company continues to engage with the Ministry of Interior to bring closure to the false allegations presented to the Ministry, as a result of which the residency status of its Chief Executive Officer was withdrawn.
“The company also refers to its announcement of April 6, 2023, confirming that the Federal High Court sitting in Lagos had vacated the ex parte Interim Orders against Seplat, its CEO and its Board Chairman, including the orders that restrained the Chief Executive Officer, Roger Brown from participating in the running of the company,” the disclosure said.