UNDP, NGO Partner to Global Address Plastic Pollution, Behavioural Changes
20 Facts To Know About Dangote Refinery
Nigeria’s much-anticipated Dangote refinery will be inaugurated next week, on May 22, by outgoing President Muhammadu Buhari in Lagos state. Dangote Group presented 20 facts about the much-anticipated refinery on Wednesday, May 17. These are the details:
- It is located in Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos, covering a land area of approximately 2,635 hectares.
- The refinery is the world’s largest single train with a capacity of 650,000 barrels per day with a 900 KTPA Polypropylene plant.
- The refinery is powered by a 435-megawatt (MW) power plant.
- At full capacity, it can meet 100 percent of the Nigerian requirement of all refined products and also have surplus for exports.
- Designed for 100 percent Nigerian crude with flexibility to process other crudes.
- Self-sufficient marine facility with ability for freight optimization. Largest single order of 5 single-point mooring (SPMs) anywhere in the world.
- Diesel and gasoline from the refinery will conform to Euro V specifications.
- The refinery design complies with World Bank, US EPA, European emission norms and Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) emission/effluent norms.
- Incorporates state-of-the-art technology.
- Designed to process large variety of crudes, including many of the African crudes, some of the middle eastern crudes and the US Light Tight Oil.
- 65 million cubic meters of sand dredged, costing approximately €300 million, using the world’s largest dredgers.
- Bought over 1,200 units of various equipment to enhance the local capacity for site works.
- Bought 332 cranes to build up equipment installation capacity.
- Built the world’s largest granite quarry to supply coarse aggregate, stone column material, stone base, stone dust and material for breakwater (10 million tons per year production capacity).
- Developed a port and constructed two quays with a load bearing capacity of 25 tons/square meter to bring over dimensional cargoes close to the site directly.
- Constructed two more quays in the port with a capacity to handle up to Panamax vessels to export, two quays to handle liquid cargoes. The port will have six quays, including a roll on/roll off quay.
- In the course of the civil works, 700 piles were drilled on some days, with total number of piles up to 250,000.
- It has 177 tanks of up 4.742 billion liters capacity.
- Dangote is one of the few companies in the world executing a Petroleum refinery and a Petrochemical complex directly as an Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contractor.
- Trained 900 young engineers in refinery operations abroad. Mechanical Engineers trained in the GE University in Italy. Process Engineers trained by Honeywell/Universal Oil Products (UOP) for six months.